Monday, August 20, 2007

A Little Family Bragging

If you are a regular reader of this blog (and if you're not, how did you get here?), then you know that Margalit Fox, a reporter for the New York Times, also is my wife and best friend. You also know that her new book, Talking Hands: What Sign Language Reveals About the Mind, has just been published by Simon and Schuster and has already received several highly favorable reviews. Needless to say, I'm very, very proud -- and I've read the book so I can tell you, quite honestly, that it is excellent, a compelling and highly intelligent piece of work, and I was a book critic for 20 years so I'm not just blowing smoke up your butt.

Anyway, Margo is doing a few radio shows and podcasts, so allow me to draw your attention to Leonard Lopate's show on WNYC here in the Apple. If you are home tomorrow during the day, you can hear her as Lenny's lead guest. Or you can download the podcast and hear her at your leisure. You can also download the New York Time Book Review's latest podcast, which also features an interview with Ms. Fox (as well as a nice chat with Clive James).

Later this week, Anthology Film Archives will begin a (necessarily) brief retrospective of the work of the late Bill Douglas, a brilliant Scottish filmmaker whose life and career were all-too-brief and whose work is regrettably underexposed on these shores. I'll have a lot more to say about that in the next day or two.


No comments:

This blog no longer exists

 As you can probably tell, I have been too busy (and/or too porrly motivated) to continue Cine-Journal. The final straw was that some genius...