Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New York Jewish Film Festival, Round Two

My second piece on the NYJFF is already up on the Jewish Week website. This has been a particularly rich festival, and several of my favorite films are opening theatrically very soon. Eyes Wide Open, which I wrote about last week, opens in NYC on February 5 at the Cinema Village. The festival itself is just starting, and I highly recommend a trip to the Walter Reade, the Jewish Museum and the JCC in Manhattan.

Incidentally, one of the most interesting documentaries in the series didn't make the cut in the edited version of my piece, so let me draw your attention to "Gevald!"
Co-directed by Ron Ofer and Yohei Hakak, the 49-minute film is a rare look at the vehemently anti-Zionist Haredim, as exemplified by Shmuel Chaim Pappenhym, a newspaper editor and activist who we see urging Orthodox Jews not to vote in the 2006 Israeli election. The film smartly counterposes Pappenhym, chubby, boyish, earnest, guileless and hopelessly awkward, with the late Rabbi Avraham Ravitz, a Knesset member for 20 years. Ravitz is warm and fatherly (and his American-born wife is a pistol!), but makes no effort to disguise the nature of political horse-trading in a modern parliamentary body. Absolutely riveting and, as far as I can recall, unique.

Also well worth a trip to midtown Manhattan, Amos Gitai's newest film, Carmel, is going to play at MoMA for a week. My review is here, and the film is quite fascinating, particularly if you are a follower of Gitai's work.

No comments:

This blog no longer exists

 As you can probably tell, I have been too busy (and/or too porrly motivated) to continue Cine-Journal. The final straw was that some genius...