Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Biopic -- A Tired Genre

My friends and colleagues Ira Hozinsky and Ronnie Scheib have remarked from time to time that the biopic may well be the last genre that is impervious to change. With the entirely admirable exception of Todd Haynes's I'm Not There, nobody seems interested in reimagining the biographical film. I offer as a case in point Who Do You Love. My review can be read here.

I'll have more pleasant things to say about some other new films shortly. But without pre-empting my longer analysis, allow me to enthusiastically recommend Maren Ade's Everyone Else, currently at the IFC Center in New York; It Came from Kuchar, Jennifer M. Kroot's very amusing documentary portrait of George and Mike, the Brothers Kuchar, at Anthology Film Archives; and Behind the Burly Q, Leslie Zemeckis's baggy but entertaining paean to the lost art of burlesque. I saw all three in a single, very happy day. If all my days were like that one I'd be grinning like an idiot all the time. (Don't say it. Just don't say it.)

No comments:

This blog no longer exists

 As you can probably tell, I have been too busy (and/or too porrly motivated) to continue Cine-Journal. The final straw was that some genius...