Thursday, April 02, 2015

Sad, but hardly unexpected news . . .

Manoel de Oliveira, the last silent filmmaker still working and the oldest feature filmmaker ever, died today at the age of 106. For more information, go here.





R.I.P. Don Manoel (1908-2015)


Oliveira is someone I've written about here before, a fascinating holdover from the age of high modernism, whose later work partakes eagerly of post-modernist playfulness. There are, I believe, still a few films of his that haven't been released theatrically in the States, so he may turn up on my ten-best lists for a few years to come, which seems only appropriate.



No comments:

This blog no longer exists

 As you can probably tell, I have been too busy (and/or too porrly motivated) to continue Cine-Journal. The final straw was that some genius...