Thursday, April 02, 2015

ONE MORE TIME . . . .



Okay, movie fans, here we go again.

I’m back from the, er, dormant with a slightly reconfigured version of Cine-Journal. I will try to keep up with the latest films and film news as they strike my fancy. Interesting things have been happening to me – teaching film at JASA (Jewish Agency in Service to the Aged), the 92nd St. Y, working on a revised edition of my book Essential Judaism, taking the Washington Heights Film Class into a hiatus while we seek a new venue – and it’s almost a year since I’ve posted on this site. Guaranteed, there have been plenty of great and good films to see in that period. And the New York Independent Film Critics Circle has met and voted its 100 best films of the 1960s and the annual Ira awards for 2014 releases. My friend and colleague Michael Giltz (of popsurfing fame and splendor) has posted all the pertinent names and numbers here and here.  And, famously, here.

In the immediate future, the Tribeca Film Festival is right around the corner, and I’ll be writing about that as it unfolds. Plus the usual run of new releases and other oddments. The Ira brethren have begun a two-year long exploration of the 1940s, so you’ll be hearing about some of my discoveries from that decade as well.

In the meantime, my most recent film pieces for The Jewish Week are here and here. I'd also like to draw your attention to my interview with Ronit and Shlomi Elkabetz, whose film Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem, is one of the most impressive new films of 2015 so far.

Oh, and its only three more days to Opening Day! And it’s an Ashes summer in England. 

And you can follow me on Twitter:George Robinson@GRCommunicati13

No comments:

This blog no longer exists

 As you can probably tell, I have been too busy (and/or too porrly motivated) to continue Cine-Journal. The final straw was that some genius...