Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Belated Happy Birthday

Would you believe that on January 23, Jeanne Moreau turned 80? That pixie-ish gamine who was part of the bait in Touchez Pas au Grisbi is eighty years old? C'est impossible!

I was wondering why this item didn't get more attention last week -- I only found out about it because it was posted on a music board I frequent (she did quite a few hit records in France, an aspect of her career that is underdiscussed here). Then I thought about the implications of the fact that Catherine of Jules and Jim is a senior citizen and realized that a lot of my older colleagues probably don't want to be reminded of the passage of time in such a depressing way. I have to confess that the Truffaut has never had the iconic force for me that it seems to hold for so many others. Indeed, my favorite Moreau performances come later in her career -- French Provincial, M. Klein, Cet Amour-La, in which she plays Duras and is the only redeeming feature in an otherwise excruciatingly dull film.

************************

Paying work is a bitch. I've been so busy collecting a paycheck that I've fallen behind on writing about new films at this lemonade stand. Suffice it to say that I have several reviews coming up and will unburden myself later this week. In the meantime, if you can only see one movie this week, run run run to see the Christian Mungiu, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. In NYC it's at the IFC Center.

No comments:

This blog no longer exists

 As you can probably tell, I have been too busy (and/or too porrly motivated) to continue Cine-Journal. The final straw was that some genius...