Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thrills Galore in the New Anthology Schedule

The three-month schedule for Anthology Film Archives came in the mail yesterday and the programming there for July through September is so exciting that I almost shrieked out loud in the bank. I'll just give you the highlights, of which there are many.

  • The theatrical premiere of Pedro Costa's Colossal Youth, along with six more features and three shorts by Costa;
  • Four melodramas by Vincente Minnelli (on whom I did my long-ago master's thesis);
  • A complete retrospective of the late Bill Douglas, including a documentary his life and work;
  • A large Abraham Polonsky series that includes all three of his features and several films he wrote, including Don Siegel's Madigan, as well as Thom Anderson and Noel Burch's Red Hollywood;
  • A huge Norman Mailer retrospective, with all of his films and some other oddities;
  • Fassbinder's Bremen Freedom, which I don't recall having been shown in NYC since it was made in 1972;
  • A series highlighting the work of three of the great Latin American documentarist-activists, Santiago Alvarez, Fernando Solanas and Patricio Guzman, including the complete Hour of the Furnaces.
Something about this calendar has a real '70s cinephilia air about it. It reminds me of the years in which I first started watching film avidly. Now, if only I were 35 years younger . . . .

There's a link to Anthology's webpage on your right. Use it.

No comments:

This blog no longer exists

 As you can probably tell, I have been too busy (and/or too porrly motivated) to continue Cine-Journal. The final straw was that some genius...